Today, the combustion engine is under attack due to global warming, poluting the environment and high operating cost. There is an urgent need to commercialize more efficient, cleaner and safer engines. However, several inherent obstacles remain:
- The cost of retooling machinery and production techniques has historically been prohibitively expensive in time required, training required and cost of actual machinery for alternative engines.
- There have been difficult challenges with storage, distribution and cost of alternative energies.
- Consumer demand previously lagged due to the historically low price of gasoline.
ClearValue's proprietary HyOx™ combustion technology provides solutions to each of these challenges:
- HyOx™ drastically reduces time, training and new machinery costs; as, HyOx™ is an improvement upon combustion engines known today.
- HyOx™ minimizes hydrogen storage challenges, provides improved performance and reduces operating cost to less than that of hydrocarbon. HyOx™ can be refueled at any electrical power source; while, hydrogen can be supplied to any service station via a gas line. HyOx™ has 3 to 4 times the efficiency of hydrocarbon engines and stores hydrogen fuel at low temperatures and pressures, thereby affording 500 miles of operation before refueling.
- HyOx™, a variant of the familiar combustion engine, uses familiar performance metrics, provides additional power, adds less than 20% to vehicle price, lowers fuel operating cost, increases engine life and presents fewer obstacles to consumer acceptance than alternatives.
HyOx™ triples performance efficiency while also capabile of producing 4 to 10 times the power of hydrocarbon fuels. This is performed while leaving no carbon, nitrogen or sulfur footprint. This is while hydrogen can be easily produced via electrolysis of water with either: wind, water, nuclear or photovoltaic energy sources.
The combustion of fossil fuels is the combustion of HYDRO-carbons. HyOx™ is the combustion of HYDRO-gen. The processes are chemically very similar while H2 is very light compared to hydrocarbons, e.g. gasoline is 112 pound/mole, natural gas is 16 pound/mole and H2 is only 2 pound/mole. (In chemistry, a mole is measure of atomic matter).
Chemistry behind the HyOx™ Technology - More in PDFs below
In all cases, O2 is the oxidant and H2O is the combustion product. In hydrocarbon combustion, however, carbon does also combust to CO2, a greenhouse gas. (During incomplete combustion, carbon monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas is formed.) To complicate matters, hydrocarbon combustion is performed with air instead of O2 while air is only near 20% O2 and 80% Nitrogen (N2). A portion of the N2 combusts endothermically (adsorbing energy) to produce oxides of nitrogen, NOX (NO, NO2 and NO3). While NOX is toxic to all life, NOX also catalyzes the conversion of O2 to ozone (O3), which is also toxic to all life. NOX and O3 inhibit nature's ability to complete photosynthesis (photosynthesis is the biochemical pathway utilized by plant life to convert CO2 back into O2). Therefore, air pollution (COX and NOX) not only place greenhouse and poisonous gases in our air, the resulting air pollution reduces nature's ability to replenish our O2. In conclusion, simply removing carbon (C) and (N) from combustion reduces COX and NOX in our air.
HyOx™ in Combination with Wind or Photovoltaic Power